Potatoes NZ provides resources, ideas and tips to help teachers feature potatoes in their lesson plans. Potatoes can be included in the New Zealand curriculum at Levels 1, 2 and 3 in the three food related strands: Home Economics, Technology and Hospitality.
Take children on a potato discovery adventure
- global – to give children a perspective on how one food can make a huge impact on people and communities
- skills – to teach each child to cook and to foster personal responsibility.
- Teachers’ guide – activities to help understand the sustainable role of potatoes in feeding the world
- How to grow potatoes – full instructions how to grow potatoes in a bucket
- Potatoes varieties poster which promotes buying for end use i.e. roasting, baking, boiling, salads
- Cooking guide to potato dishes – showing traditional names of potato dishes and how to cook them
Sponsor of the NZ Culinary Fare run by the Chefs Association which sees secondary students, hospitality students and industry professionals line up in a range of competitions designed to test talent and technical skill. Potato is specified as the starch in the beef, pork and duck competitions. Potatoes NZ Inc. is able to use the recipes and images from the competition.