We are lucky enough to enjoy locally grown fresh potatoes year round in New Zealand, but there’s something extra special about new season potatoes! Potatoes NZ ran a November Means New Potatoes promotional campaign, promoting new potatoes as a premium seasonal product, whilst extoling the nutritional benefits of fresh potatoes.
From the creation of four new video recipes, a television advertising campaign, Instagram photo competition, speaking at Foodwriters NZ conference and FAWC Talks, potato centric blogs and a highly successful launch event, the month of November was spudtastic, creating unprecedented industry engagement and media coverage.
Five leading growers seized the opportunity to networkwith influential food writers and media. Staff from Balle Brothers, Gropak, Oakleys, Wilcox and T&G showcased their new season potatoes, giving away bags of their news season potatoes to appreciative attendees.
- New Potato, Bacon, Mint & Pea Salad
- Thai Potato & Chicken Curry
- Herb Roasted Hasselback Potatoes
- Potato Skins and Skordalia
These video recipes have collectively had over 700,000 impressions (views) in November alone. If you would like a copy of these video clips to share on your website or social media please email Steve
The resulting media coverage was exceptional with articles (published and pending) in NZ Herald, Dominion Post, Healthy Food Guide, Listener, Bite, Life, Restaurant & Café, , The Press, Waikato Times, Stuff , Otago Daily Times
- Buttery New Potatoes & Asapargus
- Jersey Bennes – get steaming!
- Sizzled Potatoes – all buttery, crunchy & golden
- NZ potatoes are packed full of health benefits.
- They are fibre rich, have more potassium than a banana and are bursting with vitamin C.
- Potatoes are easily digested, full of antioxidants and rich in minerals.
- Potatoes make you feel fuller for longer.
This lead prominent food writer and Potatoes NZ blogger Niki Bezzant to ask Where have all the potatoes gone? Her latest blog challenging chefs and home chefs to feature potatoes on their menus and in recipes.
- Steamed new potato skins with smoked kahawai.
- Crispy potato latkes with horseradish creme & dukkah-crusted rare roast beef.
- Mini salt-baked jacket potatoes with chipotle creamed corn, sour cream & pickled onion.
- Indian ‘aloo gobi’ fritters with poppadom crumb & coriander yoghurt dipping sauce.
- Mini potato-topped pies.