Agronomy is a science and a practice that looks at agriculture from an integrated, holistic perspective.
With respect to its application to growing potatoes, it helps growers to understand:
- the properties of the soil
- how the soil interacts with the growing crop
- what nutrients are needed and how to apply them
- the ways that potato crops grow and develop
- how climate and other environmental factors affect the potato crop at all stages
- how best to control weeds, pests and diseases.
In addition, it shows the growers how to grow potato crops effectively and profitably while conserving natural resources and protecting the environment.
In short, growing sustainable potato crops requires collaborations across many fields, including the traditional soil, plant, and weed sciences, as well as related disciplines such as ecology, entomology, climatology, and economics.