The overall industry value was $1,088,000,000 in 2019 and potatoes are the 3rd highest value horticultural product group, behind kiwifruit and apples.
The latest figures in Plant and Food Research’s Fresh Facts 2019 indicate potato strength in exports and the value domestically has gone up, with NZ consumers spending the most money on potatoes of all veges. Read their report here.
2019 KEY POINTS
• 2019 farmgate value was $190 million, an increase of 85% over the last 7 years
• volume and value has risen across the combined export and domestic market
• people are eating more crisps in NZ with domestic volumes and values stronger
• a drop in export value for fresh/table to the Pacific Islands was experienced, with volume remaining static
• increase in the export of crisps was experienced
• overall national increase in process crop yields
• the pandemic crisis impacted the industry late in the 2019-2020 financial year with hospitality closures
• global hospitality closures created a surplus of frozen fries which threatened the NZ industry
• estimated annual growth in overall market value is 4.5%
• the industry is worth over a billion dollars per annum
KEY ACHIEVEMENTS IN 2019:
- Biosecurity Readiness & Response – Pest & Disease handbook updated.
- Biosecurity Readiness & Response – Biosecurity Pest & Disease Inspector Training held in 2019.
- Quality Assurance – added a new strategic goal of Zero Net Emissions by 2050.
- Quality Assurance – Seed Potato Certification Rulebook & Seedlines revised and published.
- Quality Assurance – Fiji Export Potato Grade Standards revised and published.
- Quality Assurance – Residue Compliance Information for Potatoes New Zealand revised and published.
- Education & Communication – Agronomists’ Forums held in 2019 with 120 attendees.
- Education & Communication – Education Resources, 1500 resources dispatched to schools and growers.
- Education & Communication – PNZ biennial conference and agronomy forum in Christchurch with record attendance.
- Education & Communication –Chip Group competitions for food service operators had record consumer engagement.
- Education & Communication – averaging 5 ‘positive news about potatoes’ articles in national media each month.
- Education & Communication – averaging 30 media stories worldwide each month.
- Education & Communication – 17 PNZ Events held during 2019-20 with over 300 members and industry attending.
- Research, Development & Extension – 32 R&D projects completed since 2013.
- Research, Development & Extension – 11 R&D projects currently underway.