COVID-19 is a new type of coronavirus affecting humans that was first reported in China at the end of 2019. It is spreading worldwide and affecting all people and all sectors. New Zealand is currently responding at Level 2 alert and has declared a National Emergency. This page offers the latest update for the potato industry and useful resources.
12th May 2020: NZ moved to Alert Level 2 at midnight 13th May. Guidance for Primary Sector can be found on MPI page here.
General ‘Life at Level 2’ info is here.
Posters for workplaces are here.
Whenua Māori: Te Puni Kōkiri have response and recovery actions well underway for whenua and whānau. Read their page here where you can download the first of 3 reports to be released this month. Each report focuses on a particular theme.
- Respond – Managing business continuity
- Prepare to recover – Learn and emerge stronger
- Prepare to thrive – Preparing for the future.
Actions for Essential Services
- Register as an essential service (The online registration form has now closed). Primary sector businesses with questions about registering may contact MPI: freephone 0800 00 83 33 or email email@example.com MPI Covid-19 info is here.
- Print the PNZ Covid-19 Essential Service Worker Travel Letter in related documents at the bottom of this page. MPI will be issuing Essential Service/Business verification numbers for registered businesses.
- Follow Guidelines for Covid-19 Safe Practice (Alert Level 3 or 4) outlined by MPI here.
- Please contact food redistribution network here if you have surplus produce.
Your responsibilities as an essential service
These are unprecedented times – we cannot operate business as usual. We must take every measure to protect our people and our industry. As key principles, essential businesses must:
- minimise, or eliminate if possible, physical interactions among staff and any essential visitors to your work site
- restrict activity to only what is essential during the Alert Level period
- ensure appropriate health, hygiene and safety measures are in place.
MPI page for all Primary Industries Covid-19 info go here.
Alert Level Summaries can be found in the list at bottom of this page or on the Covid-19 Govt website here.
Safe Pandemic Grower Practice
14th April MPI finalise Safe Practice guidelines. Download from the list at the bottom of this page.
MPI Guiding Principles for Pandemic Safe Practice 😷🚜🥔💛
1. Prevent the introduction of Covid-19 into the workplace
2. Prevent the spread of Covid-19 in the workplace
3. Eliminate Covid-19
Main source of masks here.
Looking for extra PPE supplies go here, pages 5-11 on the table offer emails/websites for supply in NZ.
Food Safety during Covid-19 response go here.
Safe Food Service Operation
At 11.59pm on 27th April 2020, NZ will moved to Alert Level 3. This means Food Service Operators can open a contact-less ordering, payment and delivery/collection food service. Please refer to our Chip Group page here for detailed advice. Level 3 fact sheet is in the list at the bottom of this page.
Exporters information on Covid-19 go here.
MPI exporting during Covid-19 here.
MPI generic exporter letter of assurance: inform customers and competent authorities on a one off basis that New Zealand has COVID-19 issues under control as far as possible cross contamination and worker safety here.
NZGAP info here.
NZTE Covid-19 info here.
NZTE air freight during Covid-19 here.
Essential Support Services
Asure Quality Covid-19 response info here.
United Fresh Covid-19 info here. Summary guides from UF in the document list at bottom of this page.
Food Service Operators go here.
Food redistribution nationwide. Contacts found here.
Workplace response to Covid-19 visit Employment NZ here.
Work & Income NZ wage subsidy info here.
WINZ employer application here.
WINZ self-employed application here.
Horticulture New Zealand is also collating info and you will be receiving updates from them via email. If you can’t find what you need on our PNZ page, visit their website here. They have staff assigned to Covid-19 tasks who can help you if needed, see the Hort NZ page Covid-19 contacts page here.
POTATOES NEW ZEALAND 0800 399 674
HORTICULTURE NEW ZEALAND +64 4 472 3795 and see their key Covid-19 contacts here
RURAL SUPPORT: 0800 787 254
If you or someone else is in danger or endangering others, call the Police immediately on 111. If you feel you are not coping, it is important to talk with a health professional. For support with grief, anxiety, distress or mental wellbeing, you can call or text 1737 – free, anytime, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – to talk with a trained counselor.
LIFELINE: 0800 543 354 (AVAILABLE 24/7)
SUICIDE CRISIS HELPLINE: 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO) (available 24/7)
YOUTHLINE: 0800 376 633
KIDSLINE: 0800 543 754 (available 24/7)
WHATSUP: 0800 942 8787 (1pm to 11pm)
DEPRESSION.ORG.NZ: 0800 111 757 text 4202
List of related documents
We will add relevant documents to this list. Please download or link to these as needed. If you want signage for your workplace, download from the document list below.