The last few months have been incredibly tough for growers as unseasonal heavy rain has badly affected crops. We acknowledge the hard work and perseverance of growers to keep fresh potato supplies going. On the upside we are noticing record prices for exports and unprecedented media coverage about the much talked about potato shortage and the launch of the inaugural November Means New Potatoes Campaign.
Potatoes are clearly in the forefront of people’s minds. So lets work together to make the most of this heightened interest in potatoes...
Potato shortage causes media frenzy
The alleged potato shortage created unprecedented media interest. Chris Claridge did 17 media interviews (8 live) including interviews on Newshub, TVNZ News, TV3’s AM show, Radio Live, Radio NZ’s The Country. The news went global with articles appearing in The Guardian (UK), LA Times, Australia and even Slovenia!
November Means New Potatoes!
This November, we are celebrating the humble potato and the new potato season… The November Means New Potatoes campaign kicked off with a launch in Auckland on Thursday 26th October. Food writers, media and industry leaders meet with growers to celebrate new season potatoes.
As a part of the promotions we have developed 4 recipe videos to encourage potato consumption. These will be released throughout the month of November and available to download and share.
Biosecurity & Regulation
- Biosecurity – Important considerations for on farm biosecurity
- Biosecurity – GPS – Finding the way in the event of a biosecurity incursion.
Research & Development
- Potato Update 10 – Year 2 – Effects of soil quality and health on potato yields
Health & Safety
Sixty plus people, from over 35 different business attended the free Health & Safety workshops organised by Potatoes New Zealand. The workshops covered the major requirements of the Health & Safety at Work Act… read more
Look out for the all new Seed Potato Handbook including updated seed rules fr the 2017-18 season, seedlines and best practice guides. This should be out late November/early December.
Engagement, Communications & Marketing
- Chipocalyse – the story behind the alleged potato shortage.
- The price of potatoes – Niki Bezzant’s blog
- Beware the chipocalypse! – Niki Bezzant’s blog
- Lotatoes take out prestigious MPI innovation award.
- Nelson quality shines through in Awards for Proper Crisps.
In the Media
- South Canterbury potato companies say shortage not a concern – Stuff
- New Zealand potato prices almost double in a decade – Potato Pro
- Released wasp to control tomato potato psyllid – Stuff
- Rain keeps farmers, growers waiting – Rural News
- Psyllid defence: how to protect your crops – Stuff
- PepsiCo looking to Australia to boost crisp supplies – Just-Food
- Release of pest-eating wasp relief for Canterbury and Hawke’s Bay potato growers – Stuff
- Growers and farmers face population pressures – The Country
- Potatoes a commonly misunderstood nutritional powerhouse – Wyma Solutions
Export Stats Reports
- Fresh potato export report week 42, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 41, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 40, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 39, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 38, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 37, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 36, 2017
- Fresh potato export report week 35, 2017
Processed potato exports are tracking well above YTD figures for 2016 and 2017, and are on track to exceed 2014 figures!
- Processed potato export summary – September 2017
- Processed potato export summary – August 2017
- Processed potato export summary – July 2017
Chip Group Update
- Otago Polytech students all the wiser with the fryer- read article.
Follow us on Social Media
- Instagram – potatoes_nz
- Facebook – Potatoes NZ
- Facebook – Chip Group
- Twitter – Potatoes NZ
- Twitter – Chris Claridge